Friday, May 1, 2009

Sock City

I brought up my bizarre imagination a couple of posts ago and my mom brought up some other things too. That I saw burps also (actually I saw those first) and I could hear the worms scream when we'd put them on a fishing hook. Oddly enough, it didn't really traumatize me but there's nothing quite like a worm scream.

Anyway, this morning while helping my son find some socks to wear today I started wondering where in the h e double hockeysticks do all of the socks go?

I suddenly had a vision of an entire sock city that lies in a parallel universe. You have to be 100% cotton to get there.

There would be sock bars...where all the single socks would be looking for their perfect mate.

Hobo socks would be piled up against the walls...all grungy with lint stuck to them.

Old, threadbare mated socks would be walking hand in hand in the parks. Or would that be heel in heel?

Lots of runaway kid socks, out on their own. Argyle pimp socks trying to take advantage of them.

All the old tube socks with stretched out heels would be wolf-whistling at the silk stocking walking by.

I'm thinking I'm going to wear sandals today.

10 comments:

Kathy B! said...

I have a basket where we keep our un-loved socks and I keep it in a cabinet in the laundry room. Remind me to put a lock on that thing. I don't want those deviants running around the house while I am asleep!!

Hit 40 said...

I occasionally go through the drawers to toss all the single socks away... just call me ocd!! I am as bad as Monk!

You would enjoy Monk if you have never watched... and your kids can watch too!!!

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

I had no idea there was a city. I thought they just went quietly into the night.

mo.stoneskin said...

I like your theory but I don't believe it is probable. The truth is that moles steal our socks and use them as sleeping bags.

Becky said...

So, Nike socks would be the jocks?
I always thought there was an gremlin that stole all of ours!

Anonymous said...

I assumed the lost socks were bundled up somewhere inside my washing machine. But now I know better.

Staci said...

Have you seen these totally bizarre socks they sell now, that you can wear under different types of sandals, mary janes, whatever? It's like you have to have a college degree to figure out how to get them on your feet. I wonder what role they have in the alternate universe.

On the flip side, I bought some "aloe-infused" socks today. Really.

Mental P Mama said...

I have a whole sock city parading around in my head.

septembermom said...

I could probably make a quilt out of all the solo socks in my drawers.

noble pig said...

If you find that place can I go with you. I'm looking for a few of those socks.